In this post you will learn how to register a business name in Nigeria, what you will learn include but not limited; how to search for a name, how to register a business name.
So without further ado lets get started!
The registration of your business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) is one of the requirements of doing business with a name other than your personal name in Nigeria. The Corporate Affairs Commission (www.cac.gov.ng) is the body saddled with the responsibility of regulating the formation and management of companies in Nigeria. In this write-up, I will be explaining the steps involved in registering a Business Name in Nigeria.
The registration of business name under the Companies and Allied Matters Act of 1990 confers on the proprietor or partners the right to carry out their business under a Business Name. It does not
confer any special right or privilege or licence to carry on the business itself. For instance, if I register a hospital with the commission, it doesn’t grant me the right to practice medicine. I still have to obtain the licence from relevant professional bodies.
However, it’s very essential to register your business name, especially if your business has prospects for growth to avoid incurring the wrath of the law and unnecessary litigations in future.
To register your business name in Nigeria the first thing to do is to search for your desired name:
Step by Step on how to Register a Company (Private or Public)
- Check for availability of proposed company name CLICK HERE to do that
- Reserve a new Name
- Complete pre-registration form – CAC1.1 –> Download the form
- Pay filing fee to Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) click here to Check the Fees for registering business name
- Pay Stamp duty fee to FIRS.
- Prepare the signed scan copy of your pre-registration documents for upload as follows:
- Upload the scanned documents for processing.
- Submit the original copies of the documents uploaded at step 6 (Form CAC1.1, MEMART, etc) to the CAC office you had selected in exchange for your certificate and the Certified True copies of the documents.
For full procedures on how to register a business name in Nigeria click here
Alternatively, you can walk into any CAC state office nearest to you to complete your business name registration. Appended below are CAC state offices.
CAC State Offices